What Is Pair Programming?
Pair programming is a technique from XP (Extreme Programming). It is quite frequently used in the Agile world. So you are likely to find yourself in a working environment embracing this, sooner or later.
Pair Programming means:
- 2 programmers
- 1 laptop, 1 keyboard, 1 mouse, 1 screen, ...
- Only 1 programmer has the keyboard at a time, but both focus on the code!
- You may want to take turns - especially if one programmer is more experienced than the other
Five Rules For Pair Programming
- Agree on the physical environment beforehand (e.g. screen colors, layout ...)
- When talking about code, always refer to line number and file name
- When disagreeing, talk in terms of benefit
- When feeling ill at ease, say so
- Bestow as many compliments as possible